Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Soylent Green is DEER!

Alright. Those deer I was talking about before are rampant throughout the park. And they have no fear of anything. The pamphlets say docile, but I say ``no fear of anything, with the side of being fed all the time.`` You can spend 150 yen to give them cookies, and they hang around the shops that sell them because they know. I went to one place to get ice cream (Ice cream Sean? But it`s winter!), and when I walked up to the counter, they came up right next to me. Hrm...

Anyways, I`m more of an early riser than Mayumi (she is a chef, after all), so after some tea, I set out on this very cold day. Saw some nice temples, and found out that Nara is a big cutlery town. Kikuichi is based here... http://www.kikuichi.net/ Yeah, I was in that store, totally randomly. So I bought a cheap Yanagi. I probably should have bought more, but I wasn`t thinking. Oh crap. Between that last sentence and now, I`ve probably decided to go back tomorrow. When in Rome, get the pizza.

So, after lunch, I decided to climb a mountain again. There was a wide trail this time, but I found the thin one on the way back down, and it was almost as fun as last time, more because of the mud and cold than the lack of trail. Mayumi`s mother made dinner tonight, traditional konnyaki and hijiki; A root vegetable soba soup; soy cooked daikon, and buri (good hamachi). Yum. I bought some supplies as well, thinking I was going to show Mayumi how to butcher fish, but that didn`t happen. It`s ok.

After dinner, I went to the sento near here (look it up), and after going into the wrong side to begin with (hi ladies!), took part in ``Sean versus scalding water part 2! This time with electric water!``

That`s right, water with an electric current running through it. Writing about it makes my legs tingle. You know those games where you pay to hold the metal thing that shocks you until you can`t take it anymore? It`s like that, except in water. The closer you are to these holes, the stronger the tingling is. I`m not sure of the benefits of such treatment, but it freaked me out a little bit, not going to lie. The bubble bath was better.

That`s it, no philosophy today, my whole body is at a state beyond relaxed. The water gets so hot, it stresses you out. You may not know what I`m talking about, so fill your tub with boiling water, and try to sit in it for 20 minutes. You`ll figure it out fast.

Tomorrow, Sake out of bamboo!

No comments: