Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Great Ocean Road. It's great. Really.

It totally deserves it's name.  Maybe they should change it to the Stupendous Ocean Road, because the views, waves, rock formations, and driving road all create this great experience.  I drove from the beach house in Wye River to the 12 Apostles, a rock formation created by water erosion on cliffs, creating different sized pillars just sitting off the coast.  And that was right next to the Loch Ard Gorge, where a shipwreck occurred about 30 years ago, with only 2 survivors, and it's this beautiful range of gullys and gorges through erosion-created islands, a sapphire ocean, and views that take your breath away.

That's just one part of the coast.  It's the kind of place where you want to get a really nice convertible, blast the stereo, and just cruise.  Or use a bike.  Lots of people on motorcycles were all over the place, and I can totally see why, except that if it was me, I'd be a smear on the road by now...

I also went on a tree walk through a temperate rainforest, which was pretty cool, but there was more fauna on the porch outside of the beach house (I saw koalas! They're lazy balls of fur, but with good reason. There's not many nutrients in Eucalyptus leaves...).  I tried taking a walk through another section of rainforest, but the path was closed due to a landslide, and the "big tree" which was one of the center attractions of the hike was completely toppled over.  I guess they're gonna have to change the pamphlet for that one...

I really don't know how to talk about it anymore... nothing absolutely amazing happened, but the experience of driving down that road, stopping at amazing sight after amazing sight is something that is unparalleled.  It's easily one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life.  If you get down here, make it a top priority...

Now, back in Melbourne, I think we're going to the Aquarium today, and the trip marches on... only 10 days in... plenty of time yet...

No comments: